Friday, November 4, 2011

Anti-foaming agent found in Chicken McNuggets

http://www.naturalnews.com/032820_Chicken_McNuggets_ingredients.html

Mike Adams
June 26, 2011

(NaturalNews) Ever wonder what's really found in Chicken McNuggets? Some of the ingredients, it turns out, seem to belong more to an industrial factory of some kind, not a food retailer. According to the McDonald's Corporation, its famous Chicken McNuggets are made with ingredients including autolyzed yeast extract (which contain free glutamate, similar to MSG), sodium phosphates and sodium aluminum phosphate. But that's not the freaky part. According to McDonald's own website, Chicken McNuggets are also made with "hydrogenated soybean oil with TBHQ and citric acid added to preserve freshness" and "Dimethylpolysiloxane added as an antifoaming agent." (http://nutrition.mcdonalds.com/nutr...)

At least two of these ingredients are artificially synthesized industrial chemicals. TBHQ, a petroleum derivative, is used as a stabilizer in perfumes, resins, varnishes and oil field chemicals. Laboratory studies have linked it to stomach tumors. "At higher doses, it has some negative health effects on lab animals, such as producing precursors to stomach tumors and damage to DNA. A number of studies have shown that prolonged exposure to high doses of TBHQ may be carcinogenic, especially for stomach tumors." (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TBHQ)

Dimethylpolysiloxane, a type of silicone, is used in caulks and sealants, as a filler for breast implants, and as key ingredient in Silly Putty. Says Wikipedia:

"PDMS is also used as a component in silicone grease and other silicone based lubricants, as well as in defoaming agents, mold release agents, damping fluids, heat transfer fluids, polishes, cosmetics, hair conditioners and other applications. PDMS has also been used as a filler fluid in breast implants, although this practice has decreased somewhat, due to safety concerns. PDMS is used variously in the cosmetic and consumer product industry as well. For example, PDMS can be used in the treatment of head lice..." (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dimeth...)

Not that the other ingredients are any better. Because cotton is not regulated as a food crop, cottonseed oil may contain chemical pesticides that are banned in food production. It is also almost always genetically modified. Hydrogenated oils, of course, typically contain trans fats, the artificially produced fats that are unusable by the body and that studies have linked to a number of detrimental health problems. And autolyzed yeast extract is a chemical taste-enhancing ingredient containing free glutamate that manufacturers use as a friendlier-looking replacement for MSG.

And what about the chicken in Chicken McNuggets? It's factory-farmed chicken, not free-range chicken. So it's the kind of chicken that's typically treated with vaccines and hormones while being fed conventional feed products that are medicated with pharmaceuticals and grown with pesticides.

Yum!! Don't forget to ask for extra dipping sauce. We haven't even talked about what you'll find in there...

Learn more: http://www.naturalnews.com/032820_Chicken_McNuggets_ingredients.html#ixzz1cnGUSfSe


Discussion Questions:

1. This article states that a particular ingredient in Chicken McNuggets has also been used in breast implants, but is no longer used as much because of "safety concerns." How is something such as PDMS a safety concern when placed under the skin, but it is alright to ingest?

2. For any of you who have eaten Chicken McNuggets in the past: Do you think you can still eat them after hearing about some of the ingredients? I think I probably could, just not very often. :]

12 comments:

  1. 1. This ingredient in the McNuggets should not be acceptable to be ingested if it is not allowed in breast implants because of safety concerns for when it is placed in the skin. These same safety concerns would be present when the ingredient is ingested through the mouth and enters the digestive system. The only reason that McDonald's would be able to say is if they could prove that it is expelled through the digestive tract, but it still dangerous when it would be inside the body.

    2. I have not eaten Chicken McNuggets in a very long time. After this not being a real big intriguing food to me at their menu in the first place after hearing these ingredients put in the food, I think that this information would secure that I did not eat the Chicken McNuggets and I would just stick to the hamburgers. At least right now, I do not know of anything they put in those that are as bad as some of these ingredients.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. I'm not sure that because PDMS is in Chicken Mc Nuggets, it is alright to ingest. I think there are many chemicals and additives in our processed foods today that are not healthy or safe. I agree with Jeremy that it may have something to do with the fact that the PDMS in breast implants are left in your body, whereas the chicken nuggets are digested. However, the fact that the chemical is being banned in anything means that it should not be put into the food at the world's most popular fast food restaurant.
    2. I also haven't had the Chicken McNuggets in a very long time. I ate them all the time as a kid, which is scary to think about now that I've read this article. I probably wouldn't eat them again, but I guess you never know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1. Perhaps the quantities of these chemicals are so small in the chicken nuggets that they have not yet proven to be harmful when ingested, although they would probably have significant effects if enough nuggets were eaten. It is still not acceptable, though, for these chemicals to be put into chicken nuggets seeing as they have been proven to be harmful in other situations and are clearly somewhat unsafe to be ingested.
    2. I haven't eaten chicken nuggets recently, but I used to eat them as a child. If I ever go to McDonald's again (not likely), I certainly will not eat the chicken nuggets because I never intend on eating chemicals that can cause stomach tumors or other horrible medical effects.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1. The amount of bizarre chemicals in fast food is very surprising. I think its something that could really use more media attention and something that people need to be more educated about.

    2.I don't think I've ever had a chicken nugget from McD's but after reading this, I don't think I ever will!

    ReplyDelete
  5. 1. it's incredible to me that this chemical was even allowed in the first place. I guess my major concern is that the sheer amount of chemicals used in food is so low, that it goes unreported. This to me is unacceptable, people have the right to know what they are putting in to their bodies and companies like this are taking that right away from us.

    2. I haven't been to McDonald's since I was a small child, and after everything I have learned about large fast food chains in the past couple years, I don't plan on it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. 1). I do not have enough knowledge on how the body reacts to things that are ingested or added to it artificially. That being said, I would assume that there is more evidence that is available that indicates harmful effects from the chemical being placed under the skin while little exists on how the body reacts to the chemical upon ingestion. However, while there may not be clear evidence, I'd be shocked if something that synthetic were anything but harmful to the body.

    2). I eat at McDonalds usually at least once a month, although I have only had the nuggets once or twice in the past year. I do think that I would eat them again despite having read this article. I wouldn't feel good about it, but I'd probably do it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. 1. There are many reasons why McDonalds gets around issues like this. It all stems from the huge financial, cultural, and political influence McDonalds has on the US and nations around the world. In my mind McDonalds is all a marketing ploy. From the name "Happy Meal" to assuring that they care for their costumers negates the fact that what they DON'T seem to care much about is the health of their customers. Yes, we are warned to eat fast food in moderation. However, many people depend on cheap food like McDonald's chicken nuggets. I don't know why exactly McDonald's is allowed to put PDMS in their food but I think a big reason has to do with politics. McDonald's probably found a loop hole where they could use PDMS in small enough quantities that it is considered "safe". That's really the only argument they have. Using PDMS as a breast filler would require a much larger amount of the substance that may obviously be damaging to the body. Also as a breast implant filler, it may also have a worse effect because it stays in the body permanently where as chicken nuggets go in, then out of your system. I think McDonald's probably realizes that this is not "alright" but still continues to use PDMS because it enhances their product, thus enhancing profit. And afterall, isn't that what most fast food joints really are these days... just profit driven corporations.

    2.I don't really eat at McDonalds often but when I do I always order the McNuggets. As sad as it is to say, I don't think this article will affect my future eating habits at Micky D's. Other than Subway and a few other places, I've already come to terms how horrible fast food is for you. When I'm really busy or need a quick bite to eat though, McDonalds does come in handy. I try to really take into consideration just how bad the food is and I try to remember all the videos of animal cruelty in slaughter houses but for some reason none of this info effects me when I get to the register. I really don't even think about it when I order. Although PDMS and other ingredients alarm me, I don't think I'll stop eating McNuggets. I think as long as I only eat it in moderation I should be fine (knock on wood). I'm sure most of my food at home has a ton of alarming ingredients as well. So basically yes, I can still eat McNuggets after reading some of the potentially dangerous ingredients.

    ReplyDelete
  8. 1) It's not safe to ingest in large quantities. Poison's effectiveness is all about concentration. For a person of a specific weight and lean body mass, there is an amount of cyanide that would be perfectly safe to ingest, an amount that would make them very sick, an amount that might kill them, and an amount that definitely would. None of these ingredients are dangerous enough to require regulation at the concentrations that they exist at in the food. What matters, then, is how often you eat McDonald's. The correct response for good health is somewhere between rarely and never.

    2) As for me, I could still eat them, but I would never choose to eat McDonald's if I had the choice to eat somewhere else. I've never chosen it above another place to eat, and don't think I ever will. I don't hate it, it's just never the better option.

    ReplyDelete
  9. 1. It might be an issue where McDonald's has FDA approval to use PDMS because it's in such a small dose- just guessing. However, if this is true, it wouldn't make me feel any better. If the food that I eat contains an ingredient that could be harmful, I want to know about it.

    2. I think I could probably still eat them. I think it's an issue of "well I've had them plenty of times before, and plenty of people that I know have had them, too, and nothing bad ever happened." In addition, I'm not sure how much I trust your news source. Maybe they're being a bit hyperbolic? Not sure, though. Regardles, I've definitely tried to reduce my consumption of processed food in general, and it's been years since I've had chicken nuggets.

    ReplyDelete
  10. 1. I also don't know enough about the science of chemical ingestion to make an intelligent and informed comment on this. But what both Eva and Jeremiah said sounds plausible. Regardless, it's enough of a danger to make me scared about eating the nuggets. Even if the tests don't prove harmful, why would you want to put something like that in your body? I would rather eat something that I KNOW is safe and relatively natural.

    2. I am definitely not eating them after reading this. It scares me that we don't really know all of the effects of these chemicals. It's easy for me to say that though because I have eaten the Chicken nuggets maybe once in my entire life. I could understand why someone that eats this 3 times a week or has grown up in this food culture would have a hard time altering their food habits.

    ReplyDelete
  11. 1. First, I love McDonald's and their chicken nuggets. This is the second article I am commenting on about how their food seems to simply put not be real food. I strongly believe people have the ethical right to know what they are being served and what they are ingesting into their own bodies. It is the personal choice of that person if they want to continue to consume food that has ingredients in it that even animals will not eat.

    2. Again, I love the chicken nuggets at Mcdonald's. They are delicious. Even though they are good, it is a little scary to know what McDonald's is actually putting into their fast food. And, what they are putting into the chicken nuggets and hamburgers does not seem very healthy or safe.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've always thought chicken nuggets were gross, so I guess I'm in the clear. You can tell if it's fake if you just break it in half. I think it's totally unacceptable. I don't want some breast augmentation substance or whatever in my body. I fry my own chicken, like a boss.

    ReplyDelete